Thursday, June 28, 2012

Once Upon A Time

“Once upon a time, in the forest of Someplace Else…” 
– from The Three Bears


So begins the story in my tattered childhood copy of the classic tale, and that phrase pops into my mind when reflecting on where I’ve found myself in the past year and a half, wandering and finding direction through my own “forest of Someplace Else.”  A turning point in my career and a health detour both unexpectedly rerouted my life on to a different path, one which, despite its obstacles and challenges, has also revealed opportunities for growth, enlightenment and fulfillment.  Now l am traveling through this “forest of Someplace Else” and finding my way. 
We love the coastal area where we live like you love a person, and our friends here are our extended family, so when my employer relocated my job, we chose without hesitation to remain here rather than move.  I became unemployed for the first time in my career and grappled with adjusting to my jobless status.  As I updated my resume and job searched, the prospect of jumping back on the “hamster wheel,” spinning constantly with the stress of work demands and business travel, filled me with dread.  In recent years, the stress had been intensifying as I tried my best to balance work, frequent business travel and motherhood.  My heart sunk heavily into the pit of my stomach every time I had to pack a bag, step on a plane and leave home!  My creativity was drained, and my spirit was weakened.  As mentioned in my first post, I wasn’t much of a risk taker, so as weary and depressed as I had become while working in the corporate world, I continued to spin diligently on that “hamster wheel” because maintaining a consistent salary seemed safe and responsible.  Of course, that so-called safety is lost along with a job loss!  When my layoff forced me to consider all options, I allowed myself to contemplate the possibility of no longer spinning out of control, of finally taking that leap of faith and pursuing my dream of owning a creative small business and embarking on an adventurous new career path.  Now, the dream I never believed would become a reality is indeed becoming a fledgling reality!  I awake each day with enthusiasm and hope replacing exhaustion and dread.
Plumeria Papercraft, a blending of a reference to our daughter’s name and the art form in which I work most often, is my dream in the process of becoming a reality.  If you aren’t already familiar with my Plumeria Papercraft story, you can read details in my Etsy shop or on my Facebook page.  I’ve been journeying along my new career path one step after another, and although each has been a baby step, these steps are giving me momentum to move forward in a positive direction, and I’m feeling optimism and a sense of modest accomplishment as I do so.  Little did I know I would encounter a health detour which threatened to derail my progress, but thank goodness I’m still moving forward!  I’ll share a little bit about this detour in my next post.
How about your version of the “forest of Someplace Else?”  Would you like to share something about your own journey?