Friday, July 6, 2012

Child Within

“It is a happy talent to know how to play.”

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Earlier this week, our daughter and I paid a weekly visit to the local public library.  As we were checking out books, the librarian commented that she liked my t-shirt with its “Hello Kitty in the Big Apple” design, a souvenir I purchased in New York City during a business trip several years ago.  I had forgotten it was what I tossed on that morning with a momentary concern that perhaps I’m growing too old to be wearing one of my favorite characters in public…ha ha!  I admitted this concern to the librarian, then joked that I was expressing my “child within.”  Afterward, I started thinking…
Joking aside, there are healthy benefits to connecting with our “child within” – enjoying lightheartedness, relieving stress, uplifting our spirits, simply having some fun and living in the moment.  Parenting a young child, I am fortunate to do so frequently (admittedly whether I’m in the mood or not!)  In recent days, I’ve blown bubbles, watched “The Secret World of Arrietty,” played with dolls and trucks, started rereading “James and The Giant Peach,” chased butterflies and cradled worms in my hand!  Just today, our daughter and I were drawing with colored pencils in our camping tent (which happens to be set up in our backyard right now.)
I also indulged in cotton candy at a county fair!
There are many playful activities we can still enjoy as adults:  finger painting, playing board games, getting lost in a coloring book or mandala or browsing through a book just for its pictures (inspiration abounds!)  What other ideas can you add to the list?
Allow your “child within” to come out and play…