Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Sense Of Place Revisited


In The Woods, Asher Brown Durand 1855


Serendipity has struck twice since Tuesday’s post, and I’m continuing to contemplate and appreciate a sense of place.  Yesterday as my daughter and I were supposedly making a quick stop at our library to return a few books, she asked me if she could check out a couple more books (to add to the stack we already borrowed last week), then she thought, in fairness, I should check out a couple more, too, and she didn't have to twist my arm!  We quickly perused the art section, and this book caught our eyes, “A Sense Of Place The Artist And The American Land” by Alan Gussow.  I felt compelled to share a couple quotes from this book and some of the paintings I found most captivating.


Summer Afternoon, Nell Blaine 1969


“The places that we have roots in, and the flavor of their light and sound and feel when things are right in those places, are the wellsprings of our serenity.” 
- David R. Brower


The Cove, John Marin 1917


“For all of us have our loved places;  all of us have laid claim to parts of the earth;  and all of us, whether we know it or not, are in some measure the products of our sense of place.” 
- Alan Gussow


The Prairie - Colorado No. 2, William Kienbusch 1970


Earlier tonight, our daughter was leafing through her junior ranger booklet and reminiscing about our summer trip to spectacular Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.  One of the pages was titled “A Sense of Place.” 

Sea Grasses And Blue Sea, Milton Avery 1958
    
I’m now suspecting these serendipitous signs are validating how important a sense of place truly is in one’s life!