Sunday, October 14, 2012

Franki


(I removed the photo of my card originally included when I wrote this post.  Although the card is from my personal deck and isn't copied or for sale, I do not wish to infringe upon the copyrights of others' images which were respectfully collaged on my card.  My original writing remains as I believe the information and insight I've shared in this post may still be of interest to you.  I hope to share future cards created with my own photos soon.) 

The third of my four SoulCollage® cards created at Friday’s healing art retreat is “Franki," (he's in the lower right corner.)  We were encouraged to bring photographs of significant people or pets in our lives to incorporate into “Community” cards.  Mary, the RN/MFT who leads our retreat, explained the process of considering characteristics of the person or pet on our “Community” card and how their characteristics might apply to us.
As I thought about our cat Franki (his name comes “frankincense” because he was an abandoned stray who chose us as his new family just a few days before Christmas years ago), the following qualities came to mind.
Franki is…
*   Clear about what he wants (actually, to a fault, meowing and pawing at me relentlessly when he wants his food or wants some attention!)
*   An older cat who often still behaves like a kitten - playful, energetic and light on his paws!
*   Drawn to the sunny spot...as the sun shines through the window, he can always be found languidly lounging in a warm patch of sunshine on the carpet or furniture.
The quality that resonates with me the most is Franki’s youthful spirit.  I love how he often still behaves just as rambunctious as a kitten despite his veterinarian placing him in the geriatric category!  The lesson I can learn from his kittenish quality is the importance of remaining youthful and playful.  As we grow older, I think the best way to maintain a young spirit is with an open mind and heart, a receptiveness to connecting with interesting people of all ages, a curiosity to learn new things, an eagerness to pursue new experiences and enjoy new adventures and a commitment to honor our child within.
Remember to prioritize some play time this week, just like Franki!