Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Compelling Stack From The Library


 
A while back, I shared what was stacked on my nightstand, books beckoning to be read.  That nightstand stack is a permanent fixture with its ever changing mix of creative inspiration, insight and encouragement on personal growth and mindful living, nature guides, interesting memoirs and intriguing fiction.  On Tuesday, I “struck gold” at our local public library and refreshed the current mix with three compelling books, so compelling that I’ve already finished one in its entirety, and I’m nearly finished with another…so compelling that I feel compelled to share these titles!
I belong to a book club, and I was glad that this month’s pick, Still Alice by Lisa Genova, was available through our library (what a welcome resource when you’re being cautious about your finances.)  This fictional account of a woman facing early-onset Alzheimer’s disease grabbed me and wouldn’t let go!  Alice’s story is gripping and heartbreaking.  The writer expresses Alice’s experience and emotions in such a powerful way that you feel as though you’ve stepped into her shoes.  Her story feels so incredibly, intensely real.

I considered myself lucky when The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp caught my eye on the library shelf because this title was added to my Amazon wish list a while ago.  I may end up still buying my own copy after noticing the copious amount of page flags I’ve inserted in the library’s copy for remembering passages from which to take notes.

Yet to be read is The Sound of Paper by Julia Cameron (I own a copy of The Artist’s Way), but I’m looking forward to perusing its pages soon.
Have you been reading any compelling fiction or non-fiction lately?  Please share!