Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Glimmer Of A Silver Lining



Sandy ripples captured during Friday's beach walk

 
Yesterday afternoon I was informed that a vendor fair in which I was participating next weekend, selling my Plumeria Papercraft creations, has been cancelled.  Naturally, my initial reaction was disappointment at the loss of an opportunity to gain more local exposure and generate sales.  To offset that disappointment, I’ve been uncovering the silver lining in my calendar as I shift my plans for this week ahead minus Saturday’s event.  Here are the glimmers I’ve found so far…

I realized last night that I will now be able to remain for the entire length of our book club’s discussion on Saturday morning (instead of dashing off halfway through to set up for the vendor fair.)  I’m looking forward to this particular discussion as the book, which I shared in my last postStill Alice by Lisa Genova, was so powerfully gripping that I couldn’t put it down.  I finished this intense novel in two (late!) nights.

I then realized earlier this morning that I will be free this week during time slated for creative pursuits to act upon current impulses rather than focus on heart themed designs for Valentine’s Day (my original plan to build my assortment for the vendor fair.)  Lately I’ve been fascinated by patterns and textures in nature and feel inspired to translate them into collaged forms.  One of my resolutions for this year is to keep pushing my creative boundaries and exploring new ideas and techniques.  Hopefully, in a few days, I can share some of the results of this week’s exploration.

Frosty sand (after a recent cold spell)
 
Inspiration in the bark of a tree


 


Love the pattern of a sequoia cone


 

When the “old me” was burned out by chronic stress, I lacked the energy and clarity to search for silver linings.  This is a skill I’ve been working on developing ever since. There’s a welcome feeling of reassurance knowing that disappointment can be tempered by seeking those silver linings and glimmers of new opportunities.
 
When you encounter disappointment along your path, look around for a glimmer and head toward the brightness of a silver lining!