Saturday, March 9, 2013

Tactile Thoughts

(I removed the photo of my card originally included when I wrote this post.  Although the card is from my personal deck and isn't copied or for sale, I do not wish to infringe upon the copyrights of others' images which were respectfully collaged on my card.  My original writing remains as I believe the information and insight I've shared in this post may still be of interest to you.  I hope to share future cards created with my own photos soon.) 


In my last post, I shared a recent list of favorites related to the sense of taste compiled during one of my mental list-making moments, a quiet, reflective routine I sometimes implement at bedtime to rid my mind of thoughts not conducive to peacefully falling asleep.    
During yesterday’s healing art retreat at CHOMP, we spent the afternoon working on SoulCollage® cards, and I created three new cards (you can type SoulCollage® into the "Search This Blog" field to view all of my previous cards.)  One of yesterday’s cards is “Warmth,” evoking thoughts of literal and figurative warmth - bundling up in something cozy and warm, warming up with a hot beverage, an inviting, warm welcome, the heartwarming energy of friendship and love.  The furry image I selected for the background of this card reminded me of another recent mental list of favorites, this one emerging from tactile thoughts:
Our cat Franki’s soft fur

A cozy scarf snuggled around my neck when there’s a chill in the air
A “hug” from a sea urchin (when its spines gently grab a finger…as experienced during one of our daughter’s class field trips to the Monterey Bay Aquarium!)

Sand under bare feet, sunbaked or cooled by the surf

Squishy resistance when squeezing the bubbles on bubble wrap before they pop
My husband’s hand holding mine with the perfect balance of gentleness and firmness, a simple, yet powerful touch communicating the significance of long-lasting love

A momentous memory of the very first time I felt the hair atop our daughter’s head at birth…that moment, that touch, her arrival into the world ingrained vividly in my memory
There is much to experience with our sense of touch…