Sunday, July 7, 2013

Hiatus



Spent time absorbing Joshua Tree National Park's
magical beauty during my hiatus

I didn’t intentionally set out on this two-week hiatus, but ended up stepping away from Paper And Ponder when our summer agenda steered me in other directions.  I intended to line up a couple posts and publish them while on our recent family vacation, but they didn’t fit into our busy pre-vacation schedule.  My revised strategy was to write a brief post or two while on vacation, but alas, with many places to go and things to see, there wasn’t sufficient time and energy to do so.  At first, I felt very frustrated, as though I had failed to properly acknowledge my one year blogging anniversary on June 27th (which quietly came and went while we were on vacation.)  I also felt like I had failed to properly commemorate our 21st wedding anniversary, also on the 27th.  (I still need to follow through on my “rain checked” card and gift for my husband!)   

I knew I needed to halt this self-defeating train of thought, so I shifted my thinking to how in the grand scheme of life, moments and experiences are far more important than dates and deadlines.  Of course, this is not to say that in our daily existence there aren’t commitments and responsibilities attached to dates and deadlines that we must respect, and I’m not trying to take away any of the importance and enjoyment of celebrating anniversaries, birthdays and other meaningful milestones.  What comes to mind, though, is placing less emphasis and expectation on a fleeting date (like June 27!) and broadening our attention to include the everyday moments and experiences that actually make up the composition of our milestones…and being open to celebration at any time! 

In a post last fall, I briefly mentioned my husband and I celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary with a weekend getaway in San Francisco.  We were actually forced to cancel that weekend in the summer when my husband encountered an unexpected health issue, and we rescheduled in the fall.  Although postponed, we thoroughly enjoyed a wonderful weekend in San Francisco with lodging, dining, museum exhibitions and events aligning perfectly.  If a three-month delay couldn’t take anything away from our 20 (now 21!) married years, then a two-week delay can’t take anything away from Paper And Ponder’s one-year anniversary!  I can still reflect on how writing this blog has been a deeply fulfilling endeavor across the past year, how it has helped me make significant progress in my healing process, how it has contributed to my personal growth and how it has connected me with all of you…I can still celebrate!

As for my hiatus, our family enjoyed the striking beauty of the California desert (despite an extreme heat wave) during vacation, carrying on an annual tradition of hosting a Fourth of July gathering with friends upon our return and immersing ourselves in amazing artistic wonders at our local Monterey Museum of Art (what I referred to as a low-key, but highly inspired celebration of my birthday yesterday!)  I'll be sharing some highlights in the coming days. 

I am very grateful for those of you who have accompanied me on this blogging journey and look forward to what’s ahead…more pondering, more shared inspiration and insight, more healing, more celebration (and perhaps another hiatus or two here and there?)