Thursday, October 23, 2014

Color, Pattern, Texture, Shape In The Desert


Color, pattern, texture, shape…I’m drawn to each and all of these elements as I create my Plumeria Papercraft designs or work on my personal mixed media art and as I appreciate and enjoy the artwork of others.  I even find myself noticing color, pattern, texture and shape as I explore the outdoors and admire nature’s artistry.  This was definitely the case last week as our family enjoyed vacationing in the California desert.

A colorful California fan palm frond in Andreas Canyon at Indian Canyons, Palm Springs…



A warm shade of burnt sienna in dried blossoms at Hidden Valley in Joshua Tree National Park...


 


Patterns and textures in tree bark, another California fan palm in Andreas Canyon at Indian Canyons...
 


 
And a Jeffrey pine and "mystery" tree in Mt. San Jacinto State Park (a scenic aerial tram ride up from the desert floor to the mountain)…
 


Spiky pom poms along the Split Rock trail in Joshua Tree...



 
Sculptural rock formations, also in Joshua Tree National Park and always a major attraction…



 

As are the shapely Joshua trees themselves…

 
 
My daughter likened Joshua Tree sunsets to watercolor paintings in her writing homework earlier this week;  indeed, the most amazing displays of color…
 
 

How do color, pattern, texture and shape enhance your experiences in nature?